Sunday, October 27, 2013

Expecting Julia


The following is reposted from an earlier blog entry in April.


Some of you know that I'm reading the book "Expecting Adam," by Martha Beck.  The author learned that she was expecting a baby with Down Syndrome and chronicles her thoughts and experiences, some of which she said were magical and/or spiritual.

Today we had our own magical moment.

We went to Duke Gardens in Durham, NC, with Taylor's parents.  While walking along a path, a small, elderly Asian woman saw us taking photos and offered to take a family picture for us.  We chatted with her for quite awhile about Natalie, about the coming baby, and about our family.  She kept saying, "You're so lucky.  You're so blessed.  You're so fortunate."

Suddenly, I felt child-size arms around my waist.  I looked down, and an Asian girl roughly seven years of age was hugging my belly.  Staring right at my belly button, she said, "Hi!" and skipped away.  It was only after she moved along that I realized...she had Down Syndrome.

Welcome to the world, Julia.  Your life has a beautiful purpose, dear one.


1 comment:

  1. That is such a sweet story, Christine. Thank you for keeping us posted through the blog. And of course I will be praying. Love and hugs to all...Tenaya

    ReplyDelete